The .is registry is ISNIC. Current fee (December 2008) is EUR 39 per year.
Starting in July 2008, the .is registry accepts credit-card payments.
Before contacting the registry, you will have to add
&:184.108.40.206:a.root-servers.net &:220.127.116.11:b.root-servers.net &:18.104.22.168:c.root-servers.net &:22.214.171.124:d.root-servers.net &:126.96.36.199:e.root-servers.net &:188.8.131.52:f.root-servers.net &:184.108.40.206:g.root-servers.net &:220.127.116.11:h.root-servers.net &:18.104.22.168:i.root-servers.net &:22.214.171.124:j.root-servers.net &:126.96.36.199:k.root-servers.net &:188.8.131.52:l.root-servers.net &:184.108.40.206:m.root-servers.net .localhost .220.127.116.11.in-addr.arpa =localhost:127.0.0.1to /service/tinydns/root/data. This is necessary because the .is registry refuses to delegate to a server that does not have this information.
The registry requires that you have at least two DNS servers and they must be on file at the registry (see step 2 in the instructions below).
The registry also requires that the TTL for NS records is at least 24 hours.
The registry also requires that every domain have an administrative contact who is an Icelandic citizen. There are a few exceptions for foreign parties with registered trademarks or international legal status. More information can be found in the registrar's rules.
The registry also requires that the PTR and A records match for the names specified in the NS records.
The registry claims it regularly checks domains for compliance and also claims that domains which consistently fail to comply will be suspended (removed from the .IS zone file) until their technical setup is fixed (source).
1. Tell your DNS servers that they should answer questions for x.is, and that they should announce 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 as the DNS server addresses for x.is:
cd /service/tinydns/root ./add-ns x.is 126.96.36.199 ./add-ns x.is 188.8.131.52 make
2. Register a contact user at https://www.isnic.is/contact/new.php and login.
3. Register your DNS servers at https://www.isnic.is/domain/new.php.
4. Submit the desired domain name at https://www.isnic.is/domain/new.php. This will take you to the page in step 4.
5. Submit the names of the DNS servers you registered in step 2. Upon submit the registry will check whether all requirements are met.
6. Fill in the domain contacts (NIC-handles of admin contact, technical contact and billing contact). The default for all three is the applicant's NIC handle which was given to him in step 1.
7. Confirm the application.8. You can either pay through their web portal or you can transfer money to their bank account. If you transfer money you must send email to email@example.com.